How to Write a Congratulatory Message on Achievement [+ 105 Examples]
Colleague just got a promotion? Boss just landed a big client? Team member you’ve been mentoring just aced their first presentation? It’s time to send a congratulatory message. Here’s how to craft the perfect one, and examples for every occasion.
What is a Good Congratulations Message?
A congratulations message is a message you’d send to anyone after an achievement.
This could be at work when a colleague, your boss, or a direct report does something like get a promotion, win an award, ace a presentation, or land a big client.
You might also send congratulatory messages to friends and family when they get offered a new job, get into college, or buy their first home, or send the same message to colleagues when these milestones happen.
To make your message a good one, you could:
1. Add a Personal Touch
Rather than a standard “congratulations,” consider adding a personal touch to your message.
This could include highlighting why this is such a big achievement for the person, acknowledging the hard work they put in to make it happen, or giving them feedback on something specific, if it’s a work-related message.
- Congratulations on your promotion! Your sales figures have been outstanding for two years in a row, so you deserve this.
- Congratulations on graduating college! Life has thrown you many curveballs over the past four years, and you’ve handled every single one of them amazingly.
- Congratulations on acing that presentation! You did an incredible job at speaking more slowly and clearly, well done.
2. Send a Handwritten Note or Card
Depending on the occasion, you might want to step up your congratulatory message. Rather than an email or text message, consider sending a handwritten note or card.
Everyone loves getting snail mail, and this’ll make the person feel even more appreciated and celebrated.
You could also consider a group card signed by everyone in your team at work or everyone in your friendship group.
3. Send a Small Gift
Along with your congratulatory message, consider sending a small gift. This doesn’t have to be anything expensive or elaborate.
You could send:
- Cookies or a cake
- A bottle of champagne or wine
- A gift hamper
- A gift voucher
What to Avoid in a Congratulatory Message
There are a few things you want to avoid in your congratulations message.
Be sure to avoid:
- Downplaying the achievement by saying it was down to luck or someone else.
- Sounding jealous or resentful in any way.
- Talking about your role in the achievement, even if you did help make it happen.
Focus on saying well done and wishing the person well.
Examples of Congratulatory Messages
Need some inspiration for your congratulations message? Here are some examples to get you started. Remember to personalize the message as much as you can to make it even more special.
General Congratulatory Messages
- Congratulations, you did it!
- Congratulations, I’m so happy for you!
- Congratulations, you deserve this!
- Congratulations, I know you’ve worked so hard for this.
- Congratulations and best wishes for the future.
- Great news about…
- You did an amazing job with…
- Well done for…What an achievement!
- Wow, what great news! I’m so happy for you.
- I’m so proud of you for…
Congratulations on Getting a New Job
- Congratulations on your new job. I know how much you wanted this gig.
- Congratulations! You’re moving up in the world.
- Congratulations, and cheers to the next chapter of your career.
- Congrats on your new job, you’re going to be amazing.
- Congrats on your new job, you’re going to be missed so much.
- Congratulations on your new role, they’re lucky to have you.
- Well done on landing your new job. This is only the beginning for you.
- Your dreams of being a fashion designer are coming true, congratulations on the new job.
- I’m so sad you’re leaving, but I’m beyond happy for you. Congratulations.
- So sorry to hear you’re leaving, but what an incredible opportunity. Congratulations, you deserve it.
Congratulations on Getting a Promotion
- Congratulations on your promotion! I know how hard you’ve worked over the past two years.
- Congratulations on your promotion, no one deserves this more than you.
- I’m glad the big boss upstairs finally sees how great you are. Congratulations on the promotion!
- You’re going to make a great manager. I can’t wait to see how you grow in this role. Congratulations.
- You’re a senior designer! Well done in the promotion, it’s been years in the making.
- I’m going to miss managing you, but you outgrew that junior title months ago. Congratulations on the new role!
- It’s been a pleasure watching you grow at this company and I’m so excited to see how you’ll flourish in this new role. Congratulations.
- You did it! Time to update your LinkedIn profile, Instagram profile, Tinder profile…
- I’m so proud of you! Congratulations on your promotion, you’ve worked so hard for this.
- Choosing who to promote was easy. You’ve shown you’re ready for more responsibility, and I can’t wait to see how you’ll lead this team. Congratulations.
Congratulations on a Presentation or Speech
- Congratulations on acing that presentation. I know you’re not a fan of public speaking, but you wouldn’t guess by looking at you. You sounded so confident up there, go you!
- Congratulations on surviving and thriving through that speech. All those late nights practicing it really paid off.
- Well done on your talk. That was an inspirational speech.
- Congratulations on delivering the most amazing talk. I know that was the biggest crowd you’ve ever spoken in front of, but you did such an incredible job.
- Congratulations on acing your first panel! You were great up there.
- Great work on the presentation today, you could see the team was genuinely engaged and excited about kicking off this new project.
- Congratulations on nailing your first speaking event! Here’s to many more.
- I know giving a TED Talk has been a goal of yours for years, so I’m so happy you can now tick this off. Congrats.
- One of your goals for 2022 was to get better at public speaking, and I think you can officially tick that off the list. Your presentation was amazing today, congratulations.
- If you could have seen yourself up there, you’d be just as blown away as I am right now. Your public speaking skills have come on leaps and bounds. Congratulations, what a great talk.
Congratulations on Winning an Award
- Congratulations on winning Young Illustrator of the Year! I can’t wait to see where your career will take you. I know it’ll be someplace exciting.
- Congratulations on winning Sales Person of the Quarter, your numbers have been amazing over the last few months. Keep up the hard work!
- Congratulations! I’m so happy you’re finally getting the recognition you deserve.
- Amazing work on this account, and even better you won a creative award for it. You’ve earned it!
- I hope this trophy will take pride of place in your office. Congratulations.
- Congratulations on winning highest-scoring senior in your class. All those late-night library sessions have paid off.
- I knew it was only a matter of time before your brilliance was discovered. Congratulations and well-deserved!
- You’ve been working as a journalist for 10 years, reporting on the important stories, digging up new angles, and never shying away from the difficult stuff. No one else deserves this award more. Congratulations.
- It takes an incredible lawyer to win this award, and that’s exactly what you are. Keep doing what you’re doing. People are starting to take notice.
- Congratulations on winning the Best New Business Award. Here’s a bottle of fizz to help you celebrate. Cheers to you!
Congratulations on Getting into College
- You did it! You’re going to Harvard!
- Congratulations on getting into college, now the fun part starts!
- Congratulations on being the first in our family to go to college. You’re making us so proud.
- Well done on acing those exams and getting into college. You’re going to do amazingly there.
- Well done on getting into college, and your first choice as well!
- Ever since you were a kid, I knew you were destined for big things. This is only the beginning. Congrats on getting into law school.
- I know how hard you worked to make this happen. You deserve all the success in the world.
- To everyone who thought it couldn’t be done and anyone who thought you were dreaming too big, look at you now. You’re going to college!
- Congratulations on getting into college and best of luck with the new chapter. Let the adventure begin!
- Determination, grit, and a lot of hard work — look where it’s got you. You’re going to college, friend!
Congratulations on Graduating from College
- You did it! Congratulations on graduating college, I can’t wait to see what you’ll do next.
- Congratulations on graduating at the top of your class. There’s nothing you can’t do when you put your mind to it.
- Congratulations! I know college wasn’t easy for you, but I am so proud you stuck it out, and look at you now — a graduate!
- Cheers to the next chapter! You’re done with college and ready to take on the world.
- I’m so happy to hear you graduated, and with an amazing grade, too. All those hours of studying were worth it in the end.
- College, done! Now, the world is your oyster. I can’t wait to see what you’ll achieve next.
- Congratulations on your master’s degree. What an achievement! I know there were sleepless nights, stressful times, and plenty of tears, but it was worth it in the end.
- After four amazing years, you’ve graduated, and you’re now ready to start your career. A heartfelt congrats!
- You inspire me to work harder every day! Congratulations on finishing college, and best of luck with the next chapter.
- You did it! You’ve proved anything is possible with hard work and self-belief. Congratulations on graduating college!
Congratulations on Landing a New Client
- I can’t believe you’re going to be consulting with the biggest tech company in the city. Amazing work!
- Congratulations on landing the Walmart account, I know you’re going to do great work with them.
- Well done for bringing in the biggest client this company has ever seen.
- We’ve been trying to get this artist on our books for years and you made it happen. Congratulations, and now the hard work begins!
- What a great name to add to your portfolio. Congratulations on chasing your dreams.
- Hats off to you. I didn’t think it could be done, but you proved me wrong. What an incredible account to land, well done!
- Working with this client is going to be such an incredible opportunity. Congrats on making it happen!
- You just keep impressing me time and time again. Congratulations on landing your latest client, and best of luck with the project. I know you’ll do great.
- A great career is made up of many great moments, and this one is certainly a standout. Congrats on landing your biggest account yet.
- It was touch-and-go for a while there, but you brought it home. Great work landing this client for the team. We appreciate all your hard work on this.
Congratulations on Getting Married or Getting Engaged
- Congratulations on getting married, I wish you both a lifetime of happiness.
- Congratulations, seeing you two together makes me believe in soul mates.
- Congratulations on your marriage. Here’s a little something to start your new life together.
- Congratulations on tying the knot!
- Congratulations to the happy couple! I can’t think of two people who are better suited for each other than you two.
- Best wishes to you both! I hope you’ll have a long and happy marriage.
- Congratulations on getting engaged. And now, let the wedding planning begin!
- Congratulations on putting a ring on it, finally! We’ve been rooting for you two for years.
- Congratulations on getting engaged. I’m so happy for both of you.
- True love exists. I know that because I see how you look at each other. Congratulations on getting engaged.
Congratulations on Having a Baby
- Congratulations on your new baby. I know you’re going to make an amazing mom.
- Congratulations on your newest arrival. I hope everyone is happy, healthy, and ready for the adventure of a lifetime.
- Congrats on becoming a family of three. I can’t think of two people who would make better parents than you two.
- Congrats to you, and welcome to the world to your little one! Sending hopes for days full of joy and nights full of sleep.
- Congrats on your new baby. Wishing you the best for this exciting new chapter.
Congratulations on Buying a House
Amazing news on your new home, I’m so happy for you!
- I know the road to get here has been rocky, but look at you now — a homeowner.
- Congratulations on buying your first house, I can’t wait to see how you’ll transform it into a home.
- I know how hard you’ve been saving to make this happen. I’m so proud of you.
- Congratulations on buying your first home. Wishing you years of happy memories in it!
Congratulations on Retiring
- After 40 years, I can’t believe the time has come for you to hang up the stethoscope. You’ll be missed, but you’ve earned some well-deserved time off.
- Congratulations on an incredible career. You’ve inspired my own, and countless others.
- What an incredible achievement to reach retirement and still be loving your job. You’ll be missed, but never forgotten.
- Best of luck with this exciting new chapter of life. I can’t wait to see what you’ll get up to.
- Congratulations on a long and successful career. And wishing you a relaxing retirement!
There you have it, how to write a congratulatory message on achievement, and 105 examples to inspire your own. Now, it’s time to go celebrate your friends and colleagues!